Administrative processes

Useful links & infos during your stay in University Jean Monnet

> University English portal

> General info for international student living in France

> What to do in Saint-Etienne

> What to do in the area

Info on living in France


About… residence permit

European students don’t need a residence permit to study in France. Non-European students are required to apply for a residence permit to OFFI upon arrival. When the VLS-TS visa is issued, the consulate will give you an official form (with instructions). University Jean Monnet have entered into agreement with OFFI, (the “Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration“). You are not therefore requested to contact directly OFII, the International Office will process the application on your behalf. Following documents will be required:

  • The official form you received from the consulate that issued the visa;
  • A copy of passport pages showing the visa holders identity and the stamp indicating entry into France (or into the Schengen area);
  • a fee of €58 will be charged.

You may be in addition requested to have a medical check-up before issuance of the residence permit.

The residence permit is a sticker on the French visa and is valid 1 year and allow you to stay up to 90 days in any country of the Schengen area. Both visa and residence permit must therefor be renewed in case you’re coming back to France for the summer break or Master Thesis (Semester 4).

Algerian students need to apply to a residence permit within 2 month upon arraival and will be also subject to this tax. However, because they do not obtain an extended-stay visa with residency permit, they may not use the virtual stamp purchased online. Instead, they must purchase the paper version.


About… the housing allowance (“CAF”)

If you’re a non-European student and need a residence permit, the payment of housing allowance will only start when your residence permit is issued and when the CAF has received a copy of your residence permit. However, we’ll help you to required this housing allowance as soon as the inception week because the date of this is the date of the request that will be taken into account to calculate your rights. Make sure that you have with you all originals or certified copies of your application and a translation in French of your birth certificate (The CAF office will require it to process your student housing benefits).



About… French health insurance

Subscribing a student health insurance and civil liability along administrative registration at the University Jean Monnet is compulsory for all students under 28 years old or less at the 1st of October of the academic year:. If you’re older,than 28 years old, you can benefit from the France’s Universal Health Insurance Coverage (“Couverture Maladie Universelle”).